Wednesday, December 1, 2010

October/November Update

Dobrý Den, z Česká Republika!
Translation: Hello from the Czech Republic!

Thanks for becoming part of my support team! It’s time for another update!

My Schools:
Things at both GMH and GR continue to go well. The longer I am at both schools, the more I am coming to enjoy my job at both schools. I’m getting to know the other teachers at both places much more. I no longer feel like the “new person” at school, I’m just one of the staff! On the same note, I feel that I am starting to build genuine friendships with some of my students. I am not longer “the weird American teacher,” according to my students, I am the “real person” teacher …whatever that means.

My Ministry:
After speaking to my students and praying, I have joined forces with some of the other ESI teachers in Prague. We are now running two types of English clubs: an English conversation club (called Café Coze) and an English movie club (called Kava/Kino). Only two of my students have visited sofar, but I have a feeling it will take some time.

Regarding the two groups that God has presented me with, I have chosen to work with Youth Praha for a few reasons. The first being that the two Christian girls at Radotin go there and the second being that I feel like God has in a way, dropped Youth Praha in my lap through my church needing more help. It was like God was screaming “THIS IS IT!”

Youth Praha is a youth group is majorly focused on investing in missionary kids in Prague, but has brought in a fair number of Czechs. My vision working with Youth Praha is to invest in the kids that are there as well as invest in and invite students that would be interested in practicing their English with an entire room of English speakers. They can come and play games, sing songs and engage in dialogues about what they believe…and maybe even meet Jesus!!

My Spiritual Life:
Things at the International Church of Prague (ICP) are continuing to go well. I am also continuing to love the bible study through my church.

On another note, there is one thing that I have really been struggling with:
One night when I was taking the tram home from Youth Praha and a man slowly stepped onto the tram COVERED in blood. He had four HUGE gashes in his head, like he had been beaten with a pipe, bottle or something else. I started to cry instantly and since I don’t speak Czech, I didn’t know what to do nor could I really do anything. It seemed as if nobody had noticed because nobody reacted or tried to help him.
After seeing this I was quite upset for about a week, constantly thinking: “Why does God let things happen?” “Why wasn’t anyone helping him?” “How angry would someone to be do do that to another person.” The only conclusion that I have been able to come to in all of this is the realization of how much evil truly exists in the city I live in. Please pray against the evil one’s efforts here.

My Support:
A HUGE thank you to everyone who have been praying for me, to those of you who have signed up for monthly deductions and given special one-time gifts. As of right now, God has raised $7495.50!!! AWESOME!!! However, I still need to raise $4504.50 in order to reach my full budget of $12,000 before the end of February.
As you can see, I still need your help. To join my support team or add to my support please visit the TeachOverseas website: www.teachoverseas.org and click on the contribute link under the “about us” section. You can give using a credit card, paypal or sign up for monthly contributions. In the “contribute” section choose “teacher or staff member” and enter my name.

My Prayer Requests:

- Praise God that I am feeling at home in Prague and also at ICP.
- Praise God that I am building deeper relationships with the women in my bible
study
- Praise God that things at Youth Praha are going well
- Please pray that I will receive guidance in continuing to serve my students well
- Please pray that I can continue to build relationships with my students both at
school and English Club
- Please pray that God will provide me with more support both in prayer and funding
- Please pray that I will build deep relationships with the kids at Youth Praha
- Please pray for the man on the tram and the other evils in Prague


Thank you so much for all of your support!!

No comments:

Post a Comment